NMTC which stands for National Mathematics Talent Contests is an examination conducted by AMTI “The Association of Mathematics Teachers of India”.
The “AMTI” was founded on 27th June 1965, and later on the 29th of October 1965, it was registered as SI43/1965 under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860.
NMTC is an organization inclined towards the field of mathematics and mathematics education and involves professionals and students belonging to the fields of Mathematics.
NMTC aims at discovering and encouraging those students who pose the capacity for mathematical creativity and who are willing to attempt unfamiliar and non-routine mathematical problems and thus exhibits a general mathematical ability that suits their level.
Eligible Classes/levels for NMTC
The candidates being considered eligible for taking up NMTC examination should be from institutions like:-
- Junior Colleges of all boards
- Degree Colleges and Technological Institutions in India
- Schools affiliated to the CBSE abroad
There are a total of five levels of NMTC contest segregated and defined in accordance with the academic level of the student, these are as mentioned below:-
- The primary level of NMTC known as “Gauss Contest” for students of class V and VI.
- Sub-junior level of NMTC termed as “Kaprekar Contest” for students of standard VII and VIII.
- Junior level of NMTC called as “Bhaskara Contest” for students of class IX and X.
- Inter-level NMTC termed as “Ramanujan Contest” for class VII and class VIII students.
- Senior-level NMTC also referred to as “Aryabhata Contest” for students of Degree Classes in Arts, Science & Technical Colleges.
The medium of question paper in NMTC
At present, there are eight language mediums of test papers of NMTC viz. English, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Tamil or Telugu although, the medium for Senior Level NMTC is English only.
Fees/Charges of NMTC
A candidate will levy an amount of 75 rupees only, out of which rupees 15 will be retained by the institution for all expenses while an amount of sixty rupees per candidate to be sent to AMTI. It must be noted that once the fee amount is paid will not be refunded on any account.
Examination Centre of NMTC EXAMINATION
The institution where the NMTC aspirant is studying will be the center for the preliminary level test and the Principal of the institution or any other person authorized by the principal will be the center-in-charge responsible for conducting NMTC at the preliminary level.
If an Individual is applying directly to the AMTI then he/she will be informed about the examination center where he/she will write for the examination and the decision of AMTI regarding the center allotment will be final.
Level of NMTC Examination
Every aspirant of NMTC except for the senior level needs to take two tests (i) Preliminary Test and (ii) Final Test, although the students of Senior Level or say the students of degree college level are exempted from the Preliminary Level test of NMTC hence, they will take the final test of NMTC only.
For the final test, AMTI will supply papers for writing answers and its cover page will need to be duly filled.
- Only those candidates who got selected at the preliminary level will be eligible to appear for the final Test of NMTC (except for students of Senior Level/the students of degree college level).
- Centers don’t have any right to alter the date and time of the examination.
- In all the matters corresponding to the MTMC, the decision of AMTI will be considered final.
Preliminary Test of NMTC
Preliminary Test of NMTC will consist of objective type questions, where about 50% of the total number of questions will be multiple choices and the remaining 50% of the question will be in the form of fill in the blanks format which needs to be answered in the response sheet provided by the AMTI.
The preliminary test of NMTC will be conducted in the institution itself where the candidate is already studying and will be evaluated by the candidate only.
At each level of the NMTC exam, only the top 10% scorers out of the total candidates in the Preliminary Test need to be intimated to AMTI.
If the case of a tie in the scores for the last positions arises, then it is the responsibility of the school/institution to break the tie based on the school performance of the concerned student or otherwise, and send only the list of 10% scorers to AMTI.
Only for such selected candidates who are among the 10% scorers, certificates will be sent which will act as the Hall Ticket for the final examination.
Final Test of NMTC
Final Test of NMTC will comprise of subjective questions where complete answers are expected to be written. It will be conducted only at the chosen centers, in their respective states.
The students appearing for the final tests of NMTC must attempt the test only at the centers allotted by AMTI.
Special Note for the Final Test of NMTC
The answer books need to be dispatched on the same day when the final test of NMTC gets over, as the answer sheets which will be received after a specified deadline will not be evaluated by the AMTI.
Official Time Schedule of NMTC
- The last date for entries to reach the AMTI office at Chennai will be 15th July 2019
- Question packets sent from the AMTI to reach the institution where the test is being held, latest by 30-08-2019, at 10 a.m.
- Preliminary Test of NMTC will be held on the 31st of August 2019 from 2 pm to 4 pm
- Date of dispatch of 10% best results out of the total test-takers will be the 5th of September, by speed post or courier.
- The Final Test of NMTC will be organized on the 2nd of November 2019 from 1 pm to 4 pm
- Dispatch of Answer Books to the AMTI needs to be done on the same day i.e. 2nd of November 2019 through Speed post only.
- Announcement of the Final Results of NMTC will be done by the end of December 2019.
NMTC Follow Up Program / NMTC Awards
In each level of NMTC, the top 3 winners reaching the finals will get cash Awards as mentioned below:-
- Students getting the first position will be awarded a sum of 5000 rupees.
- Students achieving 2nd position will be awarded a sum of 2500 rupees.
- Students attaining the 3rd position will be awarded a sum of 1250 rupees.
Based on the performance in the final exam of NMTC the toppers, as well as others selected in the final level of NMTC, will get Merit Certificates along with a token cash award.
For the students to reach the merit list exhibiting a reasonable level of mathematical maturity is a must, and for the promising toppers, Enrichment contact courses would be organized.