KVPY A.K.A “Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana” – is a National Fellowship Program in Basic Sciences initiated in the year 1999 by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
KVPY identifies the candidates with aptitude for research and help them realize their academic potential, motivates them to pursue basic science courses and ultimately encourage them to take up research careers in Science stream.
The candidates selected through KVPY, are provided with various fellowships along with the contingency grants up to the pre Ph.D. level or for a time period of 5 years whichever falls earlier.
Along with the aforementioned KVPY Fellowship, students get a chance to explore summer camps which are organized in prestigious research and educational institutions of India.
Qualifying in the KVPY exam makes a student eligible for the NTSE fellowship as well as entitles them to get admissions into institutions such as IISC or IISER if they fulfill the necessary requisite criteria.
Official schedule of KVPY 2019 Exam
- Initiation of Online Application Process for KVPY 2019 – from 8th of July, 2019.
- Earlier, the Last date of KVPY 2019 form submission was 20th of August 2019, but as the flood has hit the various parts of the country, the registration portal will remain available till 31st August 2019.
- Admit card of KVPY 2019 will be available for download in second week of October 2019
- KVPY 2019 Exam Date has been finalized to be 3rd of November 2019
- KVPY Result declaration 3rd week of December 2019
- Interview sessions of KVPY 2019 will probably start from 3rd week of January 2019
Some Important highlights of KVPY
The advertisement for the KVPY Fellowship appears in all the national dailies normally on the Technology Day (May 11) and the Second Sunday of July every year.
Selection of the candidates for KVPY fellowship is done from the pool of KVPY registered students, who have the required aptitude for scientific research and are currently studying in class 11th, class 12th or 1st year of any undergraduate Program in the streams of Basic Sciences viz. :-
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc. or B.S.)
- Bachelor of Statistics (B.Stat.)
- Bachelor of Statistics (B.Math.)
- Integrated Master of Science (Int. M.Sc. or M.S.) in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
Basically, there are three tire of KVPY examination and these are:-
- Stream SA – for the students of class 11
- Stream SX– for the students of class 12
- Stream SB– for the students of First year B.Sc.
The KVPY Applications are screened by the special groups or committees that are set up at Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and latter on they conduct the aptitude test of KVPY at various centers in the country.
Students are then short-listed according to the student’s performance in the aptitude test, and then they are called for an interview which is considered as the final stage of the selection procedure.
So hereby, it’s worth mentioning that both the aptitude test as-well-as the interview marks are considered for receiving a KVPY fellowship.
- The KVPY Fellowship advertisement happens to appear in all the national dailies, generally on the Technology Day which is on 11th of May and the 2nd Sunday of July every year.
- As an aspirant of KVPY you need to keep abreast of the latest scientific developments, and to help you reach that the Indian Academy of Science (Bangalore) publishes a popular science magazine that covers various important topics of science subjects which you can subscribe to.
The KVPY Fellowships are granted to the students who are Indian Nationals and who intend to Study in India. Although it must be noted that the students who are pursing or intending to pursue their under graduate program under Distance Education Scheme or say under the correspondence course of any university will not be considered eligible to apply for KVPY.
Regulatory bodies of KVPY
- The nodal agency of the Government of India that funds the KVPY-the Department of Science and Technology, has assigned the whole responsibility of organizing, conducting administering the KVPY Program to the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- A Management Committee and a National Advisory Committee (NAC) was set up to oversee the implementation of various procedures of KVPY.
- A core committee is there that looks after the academic aspects as-well-as the daily activity of the KVPY Program.
Eligibility Criteria for KVPY 2019 Stream SA
All those students who are enrolled in Standard 11th during the academic year 2019-20 and fulfill the following parameters will be considered eligible to appear for Aptitude test, these are:-
- The student must have taken up studies of STEM Subjects (i.e. physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Mathematics / other Science and Technology allied subjects).
- He/she must have secured a minimum of 75% aggregate marks in Mathematics and Science subjects in the class 10th school Board examination, immediately in the preceding academic year.
Note: – In the case of students who belong to reserved categories like SC/ST/PWD, a minimum of 65% aggregate marks in Mathematics and Science subjects in the class 10th school Board examination is required)
Conditions for the activation of the KVPY 2019 Fellowship obtained under Stream SA
The KVPY fellowship of the students selected under the Stream SA will be activated only if the student satisfies the following two conditions:-
- They must have secured a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in Science Subjects in class 12th Senior Secondary School Board Examination. This criteria has been relaxed by 10% In case of SC/ST/PWD candidates hence, they need to fetch at least 50% aggregate marks in their 12th)
- They need to enroll in an undergraduate course in Basic Sciences (B.Sc. /B.S. or B.Stat. or B.Math. or Int. M.Sc. /Int. M.S.) in the academic year 2021-22.
They will be invited for the National Science (Vijyoshi) Camp during the interim period of one year, and KVPY will bear the local hospitality and the travel expenses.
Eligibility Criteria for KVPY 2019 Stream SX
All those students who fulfill the following parameters will be considered eligible to appear for KVPY Aptitude test, these are:-
- They must be enrolled in Standard 12th during the academic year 2019-20 and be looking forward to join undergraduate program in the streams of Basic Sciences namely Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics & Biology leading to degrees like B.Sc./B.S. or B.Stat. Or B.Math. Or Int. M.Sc. / Int. M.S. for the session 2020–21.
- They must have secured a minimum of 75% aggregate marks in Mathematics and Science subjects (Physics/Chemistry/ Biology) in class 10th Board Exams during the academic year 2017-18.
Note: -if a candidate belongs to the reserved categories like SC or ST or PWD, then a minimum of 65% aggregate marks is required in Mathematics and Science subjects in the class 10th school Board examination.)
Conditions for the activation of KVPY 2019 Fellowship obtained under Stream SX
The students selected under the Stream SA can get their KVPY fellowship activated only if he/she fulfils the following two conditions:-
- They must have secured a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in Science Subjects in class 12th Senior Secondary School Board Examination. In case of SC/ST/PWD candidates at least 50% aggregate marks is required in their 12th board examinations.
- They need to join an undergraduate course that falls under the stream of Basic Sciences like B.Sc. /B.S. or B.Stat. Or B.Math. Or Int. M.Sc. /Int. M.S. in the academic year 2021-22.
Eligibility Criteria of KVPY 2019 Stream SX for the students of Cambridge International Examination Board
A students who is studying in the second year of their study in Cambridge International Examination Board is eligible to apply only on following conditions
They must be willing to join an Under Graduate program in Basic Sciences with subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology, leading to the degrees like B.Sc. /B.S. or B.Stat. Or B.Math. Or Int. M.Sc. /Int. M.S.
They must have secured minimum aggregate marks in board exams of class 10th and class 12th before taking up the KVPY fellowship, as stated below:-
- In case of unreserved students- 75% aggregate marks in Math and Science subjects (PCB) in the Board Examination of class 10th while the candidates belonging to the SC, ST or PWD categories must have achieved 65% aggregate marks).
- In case of unreserved students- 60% aggregate marks in Science subjects (PCB) and Math in the class 10th Board Examination, whereas the candidates belonging to the SC, ST or PWD categories must have achieved 50% aggregate marks).
Conditions for the activation of KVPY 2019 Fellowship obtained under Stream SX
(for the students of Cambridge International Examination Board)
All those students who are currently enrolled in the 1st year of UG program in the subjects of Basic Sciences during the academic year 2019–20 , which will entitle them with the degrees like B.Sc./B.S. or B.Stat. Or B.Math. Or Int. M.Sc. /Int. M.S., and have secured the requisite percentage of aggregate marks in the school board examinations will be considered eligible for KVPY Stream SX. Below we have mentioned these requisite marks percentage.
Required aggregate marks percentage in class 12th Board Examination for KVPY 2019 Stream SX
- For unreserved/general candidates- a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate in STEM subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology and Math).
- For SC/ST/PWD candidates- a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate in STEM subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology and Math).
Required aggregate marks percentage in the 1st year final examination of UG in basic sciences for KVPY 2019 Stream SX
- An unreserved student must secure 60% marks before taking up the fellowship (if awarded).
- While, a SC/ST/PWD student needs to get 50% marks before taking up the fellowship (if awarded).